The Kanchenjunga Trek - 3 weeks of pure raw adventure

posted by Admin on August 19, 2016

The Kanchenjunga Trek - 3 weeks…of pure raw adventure…this trip will, most probably, help you get rid of your demons…if any…

Eastern Nepal is wonderfully known by its greater diversity on many accounts; ethnic groups such as the Rai, Limbu & Magar communities, a fertile range of flora due to the higher summer rainfall in the region, and some of the most breath-stopping mountain vistas anywhere in the Himalaya. By following the glacial torrent of the Tamur and Ghunsa Rivers to their source on the North West side of the Kanchenjunga Himal, we enter into a lesser known world where the beauty of the landscapes is downright rugged…but simply beautiful…& breathtakingly awesome. Dwarfed by an alpine opulence in almost every direction, peaks such as Pyramid Peak, Jannu, the Twins and of course Kanchenjunga (8586m) dominate the regal skylines of this region. It is no less dramatic on our southern traverse of the mountain on the return journey by way of the Mirgin La Pass at (4500m). This is a challenging traverse through a region seldom frequented in recent years…this adds up to the uniqueness of this area…where its just ‘us & the mountains & everything else it has to offer.


The writer of this travel blog is Tilak Thapa Magar, Founder and Managing of Nepal Trailblazer Trekking. The blog was taken from his Facebook


At 8:30am, we took a 35 minutes flight to Biratnagar from Kathmandu on Buddha Air. The flight was scenic with the views of Himalaya ranges, including Gauri Shanker and Mt. Everest.

Upon arrival at Biratnagar Airport; we took a pre-arranged jeep to Phidim, the headquarter of Panchthar District. The drive was scenic of landscapes, mountain views and the tea garden of Ilam and so on....It took us about 7-8 hours to drive approx. 300 k.m from Biratnagar to Phidim due to many turns and bends. We spent our first night at Sargam hotel in Phidim.

October 30, 2012 - 


At 6:30 am, we took a quick breakfast and continued our drive to Taplejung which took us 3 hours to Taplejung (1820m). It is the headquarter of Taplejung district having government offices including army camp with local markets. We took our lunch here before we embark our first day trek to Mitlung (920m). It is 3 hours easy walking down hill following the rice terraces and scattered hamlets.. We spent overnight at a local family runned tea house.

October 31, 2012 -

Day 03: TREK TO CHIRWA (1300m.)
After having breakfast at around 7 am, we started our 2nd day trek to Chirwa by following the rice terraces, small streams, few suspension bridges on the way. The villages we walked through were Sinwa, Tawa and Thiwa. We all enjoyed today's walk for 6 hours despite the heat temperature. We walked continuously without stopping for lunch break; but we stopped for short breaks for resting and photography. At 2 pm, we arrived at Chirwa, a small settlement with fea tea shops, guesthouses and grocers shops, just above the Tamur River. We spent overnight at Kanchenjuna Guest House (tel. 023692825, 024680313). The owner of this Guest house is Durga Rai, who is a nice guy of middle age. The Guesthouse has 6 common rooms of double and triple bed room. There are only 2 small guest houses; one is the Kanchenjuna Guest House, which is the best available and another is Tamang Guest House. About 25 - 30 people can be accommodated in 2 guest houses.

November 01, 2012 -

Day 04: TREK TO SEKATHUM (1670m).
After having a breakfast, we set off our journey at around 8:15 am following the soaring river of Arun Khola. We walked through the river gorge, forest, 2 wooden suspension bridges. After 1:30 hrs. walk, we arrived at Thapethok, the KCAP Check Point (Kanchenjunga Conservation Area Project). After registration of our trek permits, we crossed the Iron bridge over the Arun river and followed the river keeping it our our right hand. After half an hour flat walking, we climbed to the village of Tamewa and Hallok and trekked down and cross the bridge in the confluence of Arun River and Ghunsa River. We stopped at a tea shop to have noodle soup at 1 pm. Then we walked following the Ghunsa Khola for another 20 minutes and arrived at Sekathum (1670m), which is situated at the bank of Ghunsa Khola. This place is also known as Japan Tar. We spent overnight at our tent. Today's walking distance was about 6 hours including short break.

November 02, 2012 -

Day 05: TREK TO AMJILOSA (2520m).
Last night we enjoyed having nice chatting and laughing with the tea house owner. He was very much friendly and open hearted and made us all laugh all the times. We spent the night at our own tent as there was no any bed rooms at the tea house.

As usual we woke up at 6 am; in a hope to see the soaring Jannu Peak, but it was cloudy over the mountain. We packed up our luggage; Arjun our cook prepared hot breakfast of porridge, omelette and Chapati bread. Then embarked our trek to Amjilosa (2520m). As we just started our trek, we crossed the iron bridge over the Ghunsa Khola and followed the river keeping it on our left hand and after a 15 minutes walk, we crossed again the river through a suspension wooden bridge and walked again keeping the river our right side. After 15 minutes easy walking, the trail took its height and ascent through the forest about 15 minutes and we followed the trail gradually up again and arrived at the Iron Bridge, which took us about 45 minutes. There are 2 bridges; The one is old wooden bridge, which is hanging over the river (no more in use now). After crossing the iron bridge, the trail lead us up again for 5 minutes and arrived at Ghaiyabari, a small tea shop. From here we saw a waterfall, some monkeys on the other side of the river, which was amazing! From here we trekked down to the river bed and the trail here for 10 - 15 minutes was quite tricky and adventurous; then the trail lead us up again through the jungle and we arrived at Lamatar after 30 minutes walk. There are 2 tea shops where we had stopped for noodle soup and biscuits as there were no any tea shop further until we reach at Amjilosa. 

After 1 hour halt for a light lunch, we continued our walking and crossed 2 small bridges over the small streams in between 10 - 15 minutes walking distance. Then the trail lead us up and down then we crossed an Iron Bridge over the Ghunsa Khola, in about 45 minutes. From here the river becomes narrow and steep. Leaving the soaring river we ascent through the jungle of rhododendron and bamboo trees for 30 minutes; then we walked through zig zag trail for some times and climbed up again for another 30 minutes by gaining about 500m height from the river bank and eventually we arrived at Amjilosa (2520m). In this places, there is a nice tea shop and a camp site for camping group. After walking a short walk from the first tea shop and camping site; we arrived at our tea house where we spent our overnight. There are 7-8 scattered houses of Sherpa, an indigenous group of among many indigenous group of Nepal.

November 03, 2012 - 

Day 06: TREK TO GYABLA (2730m).
As usual we got up at 6 am, had a breakfast, and started our walk for Gyabla. The trail was quite good with slightly up and down hill. After 20 minutes walk we crossed a quite big landslide which had been occurred due to last year (2011) earthquake. Then we walked up and down again through the rhododendron forest and bamboo bunches which was absolutely a wilderness walk! It took us nearly 2 hours in our slow pace walking to arrive the placed called Thyanyami (2405m). There are 2 houses in this place. Just before we arrive the first house (it seems the porters shelter house). As we just crossed a small stream; we enjoyed over looking the view of waterfall. Then we walked down following the river bank for 10 - 15 minutes, then the trail lead us again up and down hill following 3-4 stunning waterfalls. The last part to arrive Gyaba village (2730m) was quite tough for half an hour; but as we just completed the up hill an open meadow with some houses appeared in our front which was Gyabla. Before we climb the last ascent part for Gyabla; we enjoyed over looking the soaring peak of Mt. Jannu. Also, the view of waterfall with the Jannu peak was spectacular. From Amjilosa, it took us about 5 hours to arrive Gyabla, a nice Tibetan village having 17 households and telephone facility. It was truly wonderful day! We spent overnight at local guest house.

November 04, 2012 - 

Day 07: TREK TO GHUNSA (3595m).
It was wonderful morning with crystal sky and sun shining. The guesthouse we spent the last night was Kanchenjunga Namaste. The owner of the guesthouse was very nice and friendly. We had a pleasant staying here.

After our breakfast, we started our journey for Ghunsa (3595m). After leaving the Gyabla village, as we walked little down, we crossed a small river and climbed up hill again by crossing 3 -4 landslides. After 2:30 hrs. continuous walking from Gyabla we arrived at a small tea shop (3000m). As we walked further we entered to a wider valley of Larch pine trees, which was the valley of Phole (3140m), the Yak herders settlement of about 25 households. There are also 2 gumpas and 1 primary school in the valley. After having our lunch here, walked through the village and pine forest gradually up and after 30 minutes walking; we arrived do a river; crossed it and climbed a bit for 5 minutes on little ridge from where we saw magnificient view of Mt. Nyukla Lapchung (6044m) and Ghabur Peak (Temachunggi) - 6044m. 

As we walked slowly for 10 minutes, we arrived to the Memorial Chautari, which was built by WWF in loving remembrance who were tragically lost their live in helicopter crash in Ghunsa in September 23, 2006.

After the Memorial Chautari, we trekked down to the river bank and we gradually walked up and down by following the river bank of Ghunsa Khola for 30 minutes; then arrived at the big stone, which has been painted with Buddhist Mantra "Om Mane Padme Hum". Then we crossed a bridge over the Ghunsa Khola and eventually we arrived at Ghunsa, a large wider valley, having a settlement of 40 households; 1 police post, 1 primary school, 1 health post and 1 hydropower including facility of internet and telephone. We stayed at Kanchenjunga Guesthouse.

November 05, 2012 - 

Today is our acclimatisation day in Ghunsa. We got up at 6 am, freshened up; had breakfast and we walked up to the hill following the path of Dudhkunda (milky lake). It is 5-6 hours walk to Dudhkunda and bak to Ghunsa. But we just walked up for 2 hours to the height of 4100m. approx. to acclimatise our body into thinner air. We then returned back to Ghunsa at lunch time; we then spent the remaining day by looking and strolling around Ghunsa village.

In the evening, we enjoyed talking with our Miss Nepal 2012 "Shristi Shrestha" who had stayed at the same guest house where we were staying; after their return trek from Kambachen. Her main purpose to visit here was to look for endangered Snow Leopard!

November 06, 2012 - 

Day 09: TREK TO KAMBACHEN (4050m)
We all had a pleasant 2nd night staying at the Kanchenjunga Guesthouse. The temperature here was below Zero Degree. We all enjoyed taking pictures with our Miss Nepal this morning. After breakfast, we commenced our trek to Kambachen (4050m) at 8:45 am. We walked through the village following the Ghunsa river. The walking was easy and pleasant through the wider valle of juniper and rhododendron tress. We crossed few small rivers with short up and down hill. After 3 hours walking from Ghunsa, we arrived at the river bank of Ghunsa Khola, crossed the wooden bridge over the Ghunsa river; then we climbed ascent by following the river on right side. As we gradually ascent higher and higher; the forest of juniper and rhododendron were becoming thinner and thiner. Here we were having a feeling of thinner air. 

On the way up, we saw some Yaks were grazing in the meadow. After a 20 minutes walk up hill, we arrived at a river which flows through a beautiful waterfalls. As we leave the river and waterfall, we climbed up and for another 10-15 minutes, we nearly arrived to the treelike (approx. 4200m). From here we brilliant views of Mt. Jannu (7711m). Mt. Jannu is also known as Mt. Kumbakarna. The we walked up through the big landslide for 10 minutes by following the zig zag trail. While walking through the landslide, we all should be very careful as the pebble might fall-down. After crossing the landslide and considering ourselves we are in safe side; we took a short break; enjoyed overlooking the view of snow capped mountain including the Jannu peak which was simply breathtaking! We then continued our ascent walk for another 30 minutes to the hill from where we observed the view of Jannu glacier. Then we gradually walked down; crossed the Nupchu river. Then we eventually arrived at Kambachen (4050m). It nearly took us 6 hours walk from Ghunsa to Kambachen. From this place we enjoyed the magnificent view of snow capped peaks of Jannu (7711m), Phole (6445m), and Ghabur Peak (Temachunggi) - 6044m from left to right respectively.

There are 12 - 15 house holds with some tea shops and camping spots. We spent overnight at Kanchenjunga Guesthouse. It has 3 double room and a big dormitory room. The owner whose name is Nubbu is a young guy, who is friendly and energetic person having a good vision for doing something betterment of tourism promotion in Kanchenjunga region.

In Kambachen we can easily spend a 2 -3 nights doing some side trips to Jannu Base camp and Nuppchu valley by following the Nuppcu river. It takes 4-5 hours upon down for Jannu Base camp and 4-5 hours for Nupchhu valley (there are 3 small lakes in the valley).

November 07, 2012 - 

Day 10: TREK TO LHONAK (4780m)
As usual schedule, we got up at around 6 am, greeted each other in our group. We had a pleasant staying at Kanchenjunga Guesthouse. We took some pictures of sunrise over the Jannu Peak and family pictures of Kanchenjunga Guesthouse. 

After breakfast, we started our trek to Lhonak (4780m). From our guesthouse, we walked up to the hillside following the Ghunsa Khola. As we just head up, we hada pleasant view of Jannu glacier. After 1:30 hours walking we came to cross a landslide; trekked down and crossed a stream where we viewed a stunning waterfall. After taking a couple of pictures; we continued our trek with gradually up and down by following some landslides trails; then we arrived at Ramtang (4370m), a large open valley with 2 yak herders huts. Views of Mt. Chang Himal (6802m), Ramtang Peak (6700m), Drohma Peak (6855m) were absolutely fantastic. We stopped in one of the yak herders hu for having noodle soup and Tibetan Su Tea. In the hut, we enjoyed taking pictures of kids of yak herders. After an hour interval here, we continued our trek by crossing a river and walked up to the valley and finally we crossed a bridge by following a sandy trail, then we arrived at Lhonak. It is a nice valley with a sandy beach. View from here was amazing!

November 08, 2012 -

Last night we had an earlier dinner to get up early in the morning for a day hiking to Pangpema (5065m); the Kanchenjunga Base Camp. 

We got up at 5:30 am; had a cup of coffee and a bowl of muesli; then started our hiking to Pangpema. We hiked upto the valley by following the yak pastures which was pleasant walking by overlooking the Chang Himal (6802m) and Kanchenjunga glacier on our right hand. It was quite easy walking for about an hour; then the trail was quite tricky for about 30 minutes while walking down through the landslide and 10 - 15 minutes over the rocky trail. In our slow walking pace, it took us 3:30 hours to arrive Pangpema. The view of snowy peaks mountains of Kanchenjunga (8586m), Kanchenjunga Centre (8482m), Chang Himal (6855m) were amazing! In Pangpema, there is only a tea shop. For better view of Kanchenjunga glacier, Kanchenjunga South (8476m), we hiked up about 200m just above Pangpema, from where we observed an incredible view! We then returned back to Lhonak for overnight stay, that took us about 3 hours walking.

November 09, 2012 - 

As usual routine, we got up at 6:30 am, packed up ur stuffs and got ready for breakfast at 7 am, and departed Lhonak at 8:30 am for a long day walk down to Ghunsa. This morning the weather was pretty good. We walked down by crossing the Ghunsa river and the trail until we reach at Ramtang was easy for an hour. There are 2 tea shops of yak herders, the temporary settlement. At one of the tea shops, we enjoyed drinking Tibetan tea and yak milk. After half an hour stop at the shop, we continued our walking down through the landslide and rocky trail for some times. Despite hardship walking through the landslide and rocky trail, we enjoyed the view of waterfall, Kanchenjunga glacier, Yalung Peak, Merek Peak, Kambachen Peak etc..

After a 2 hours continuous walking we reached at Kambachen for our lunched stop. After lunch we resumed our walking down hill by crossing the Nupchu river. After 10 minutes ascent walk, we trekked down and crossed the bridge over the Ghunsa river and ascent again for a while and walked through a small landslide. When we trekked down for 20 minutes, we crossed a small river that flows through the Jannu Himal glacier. As we trekked further down hill, we walked through a forest of alpine and rhododendron; then felt having enough oxygen. From Kambachen we followed the new trail, which had less landslide and less tricky to walk through, and after about 2 hours walking in our slow walking pace, we arrived at Rampuk Kharka, near the bridge (3720m), where the old trail adjoined. From the bridge, we gradually walked down following the Ghunsa river, through the forest of rhododendron and pine trees. It took us another 2 hours to reach Ghunsa. It was quite a long and adventurous day of the trek. We spent overnight at Kanchenjunga Guesthouse, which was probably the best available guesthouse in Ghunsa village.

November 10, 2012 - 

Day 13: TREK TO SELELE (4300m)
All of us were very tired due to yesterday's long walk down from Lhonak; we were on bed till 7 am. After having breakfast, we enjoyed taking pictures with the family of Kanchenjunga Guesthouse. (Oh, I have not mentioned who and how many people have participated on this adventure). We are total 8 in our team - 2 members from Australia (Mr. Ronald Tamesfort - age 65, Mr. Robert K. Wharton - age 55) & Mr. Wolfgang Hartmann - age 55 from Stuttgart, Germany, 4 Nepalese supporters (Arjun, Subarna, Gokarna & Gyalbu) and myself (Tilak Thapa, the team leader).

We started our trek at 9 am leaving the village to the east following the trail of Hydropower. After walking 20 minutes on the hillside, the view of Ghunsa village was incredible. Then we trekked down a bit and crossed a steam; then we reached to a meadow, which was absolutely fantastic to take pictures. Then we walked up to the hill through the rhododendron and pine forest. It was quite tough walking as the path was quite steep. Nevertheless, we enjoyed walking through the forest listening to the sound of birds' chirping along the way.

After an hour walking uphill, we arrived to the ridge that offered us the valley view of Phole, Gyabla, Ghunsa river gorge and the trail we came through the last week. After 1 hour continuous gradual walking to up hill and down hill; we took steep climb up for another 10 minutes to arrive on the hillside of Deurali, where we can see prayer flags (elevation approx. 4200m). From here the view of landscape was incredible! Then the trail slightly goes down for 15 minutes through the Yak pastures and we climbed up again for another 20 minutes to arrive at Selele (4300m).

It took us nearly 5 hours in our slow walking pace from Ghunsa. We spent overnight at tea house.

November 11, 2012 - 


As today's trek was quite tough and long, we started our trek at 7 am after having a bowl of oat porridge and packed up our omelete and chapati bread for afternoon light lunch. We continued our climbing up for 1st pass of Sinion La (4440m) enjoying the view of mt. Jannu on our back. It took us 2 hours to arrive on the Sinion La with many stops for photography. View from the Pass was awesome! We almost stopped at the Pass by overlooking the close-up view and taking the pictures of Mt. Jannu, Mt. Makalu, and Mt. Everest and Mt. Cho Oyu in far in distance. Then we trekked down for 15 minutes and we gradually climbed up again through the meadows and eventually we arrived to the 2nd pass of Mirgin La (4480m) in 1:30 hours. From the Pass we trekked down for another 10 - 15 minutes, then we saw 2 small lakes just about 200m below the valley. We then continued climbed up again through the rocky path until we reach to the 3rd and last Pass of Sinelapche Bhanjyang (4646m) that took us an hour. From the Pass, we walked down about 10 minutes through the rocky path and the path began to lead us steep 800m downhill to Tseram (3870m). The path was quite tricky to walk over dust and pebble which was quite slippery, too. Oh, on the way down to Tseram, we saw fabulous view of Kanchenjunga, Yalung, Ratung Peak, Yalung glacier Also, on the way down, we saw a crystal lake. It took us another 2 hours to walk down from the Sinelapche Bhanjyang to Tseram. 

Time duration we took for walking from Selele to Tseram was about 8 hours including resting and photography.

November 12, 2012 - 

We got up earlier with an excitement for hiking to Oktang Base Camp (4730m), the view point for Mt. Kanchenjunga. After having breakfast, we started hour hiking at 8 am. As we hiked up for about 15 minutes, arrived to Yalung Khola; climbed up for another 30 mintues; then we arrived to a Mani Wall, a Big Stone painted with "Om Mani Padme Hum". After 10 minutes up hill, we arrived at Yalung Bara (3900m), a nice camping spot with a small Yak hut. As we climbed up further up, the valley became much wider and wider with meadow; then a frozen lake appeared in our front. While walking over the meadows we enjoyed the inspiring views of the Himalayan ranges including Boktoh Peak (6114m) on our left side, Kokthong Peak (6148m) on our right side, Rathong Peak (6682m), Kabru IV (7339m), Kabru III (7338m), Kabru II (7339m), Kabru I (7412m) respectively on our front. It took us another 1:30 hours from the Frozen Lake to Ramche (4480m), a nice meadow with camping place and a tea house. The view of the Himalayas and landscape was fantastic from here. We stopped this place for half an hour to have tea and coffee; then we continued our walk for another an hour to reach Oktang.

On the way up to Oktang, we got an opportunity to witness a mob of Bluesheep and we could capture them in our camera and video camera.

In Oktang (the view point), there are some prayer flags, bells, coins, trident which were paid homage to god and goddress by pilgrimage. We were highly impressed with impressive view of Mt. Kanchenjunga and Yalung glacier. After being there for an hour with photography, we traced back our journey to Tseram with a lunch stop at Ramche, that took us 3:30 hours.

We spent our 2nd night in Tseram with great happiness of being able to reach both Base camp of North and South.

November 13, 2012 -

Day 16: TREK TO TORANGDEN (2995m)
Due to long and exhausting last day walking to Oktang and as our walking to Torangden was being easy and short distance, we slept till 8 am. When we got up, it came to know that it was snowing for the whole night. Tseram and its surrounding hill were covered with snow which was looking fascinating. After breakfast, we started our trek at 10 am for a 3 hours easy walking to Torangden (2995m). We walked down over the new snow by following the raging river of Simbuwa through the rhododendron forest. After an hour continuos walking, we arrived to a place called Andha Phedi, where there is a small tea shop. After a short break there, we walked down again for another 30 minutes following the river bank through the rhododendron forest and arrived to an open meadow having a small house for yak herder, where we saw some yaks grazing on the meadow. Then 1:30 hours walking through the rhododendron forest, and a new landslide by following the same raging river, we arrived at Torangden for our overnight stay, where there are 2 tea shops near the river bed.

November 14, 2012 -

Last night we had a pleasant staying in a tea house at Torangden. We got up at usual time, had breakfast and started our trek for Yamphudin (2080m). From Torangden, as we just walked down to the river bank of Simuwa Khola; we crossed a wooden bridge over the river; continuously walked up and down following the river for 30 minutes; then we trekked uphill through the alpine and rhododendron forest. The trail was quite steep and slippery too, due to last night snowfall. We walked all the way up till arrive at Lasiya Bhanjyang (3310m) over the snow. It took us 3:30 hours from Torangden to Lasiya Bhanjyang in our slow footstep walking with many stops for photography.

From Lasiya Bhanjyang, we trekked down for 15 - 20 minutes, the we arrived to a small tea shop; where we stopped for our lunch. After having lunch we started our walk down again for Amphudin (2080m) by following the forest of rhododendron, pine, bamboo and forn plants. After 3 hours walking from our lunch spot, we eventually arrived at Yamphudin, a Sherpa village, after crossing a river, yak herders house and following the zig zag trail. 

From here we further walked about 300m down to the place called Thungim for 30 minutes and spent overnight at Himalaya Guest house, that is just near the bank of Kabeli river and next to the High School.

November 15, 2012 - 

Day 18: TREK TO KHEBANG (1910m)
It was one of the highlights day of the trip thanks to festival event day of Deepawali, also known as lighting festival (it was the main and final day of the festival).

We began our trek for Khebang by crossing the suspension bridge over the Kabeli river. For about 30 minutes, we walked through the rice paddy, some hamlets and keeping the Kabeli river on our right shoulder. Then we took the ascend trail to Ghatichhinne Bhanjyang (2157m) for 1:30 hours. 

Then we walked down for 10 minutes, and it lead us the way again with gradually up and down for 20 minutes through some scattered houses; then we climbed up again for another 1 hour for Ekchana Bhanjyang (2070m). Here we stopped for an hour in one of houses and joined a family to celebrate the festival. We then walked down for another 30 minutes to arrive at Khebang (1910m). It took us about 4-5 hours walking from Thungim to Khebang. 

We enjoyed today's walk by overlooking the landscape, typical houses, joining festival event and having close interaction with Nepalese family etc..

Khebang is a nice village with the settlement of Rai, Subba, Gurung, Newar, Tshetri. There is a high school just infront of the guest house where we spent overnight.

Fortunately, we had an opportunity to observe the festival events here people singing, dancing from house to house. The day of festival event made our trip more fascinating.

November 16, 2012 - 

Day 19: TREK TO KHANDEMBE (1420m)
By sharing our memorable experiences of our trek, with local people and teachers at Khebang, we started our trek at 9 am. As we just walked a bit through the village, an old couple, age of 85 came to us; with the trekkers' comment book to write in about our experiences we have had during the trek in Kanchenjunga region. It is good to know that they have been collecting trekkers' comment in the book since 1965.

After writing our comprehensive experiences in the book, we walked gradually down through the village for 30 minutes; and we decent about 500m down to Jorpul for 1 hour in the confluence of 2 rivers of Tawa Khola and Kabeli Khola, where there are 2 bridges over the rivers. Beside the bridges, there are 10-15 houses with some tea shops and groceries. We stopped in one of tea shops for our lunch.

After breakfast, we crossed the iron bridge over the Kabeli river, climbed up for 10 minutes and we trekked gradually up and down following the Kabeli River through the village of Barundin, then finally we arrived at Khandembe (1420m), a small town of local super market, having a road accessibility that connects Medibung, Ganesh Chowk and to Taplejung, Ilam & Biratnagar. 

We extremely enjoyed the walk through the rice terraces, small villages, meeting with local people. The landscape was absolutely great! It was great day! We spent overnight at local teahouse.

November 17, 2012 - 

Day 20: TREK TO MEDIBUNG (1510m) AND DRIVE TO ILAM (2150m)
We all were very much excited to conclude our final day of the trek by walking for 3 hours to Medibung (1510m). The trail was easy going in low land following the rice terraces, village of Danda Gaou and we walked along the motorable road until we arrived at Panchami for about 2 hours. From there we crossed the Iron Bridge over the Kabeli river; took a gradual ascent walk through the rice terraces and took a short walk down to Tribeni and crossed a bridge over the Iwa Khola; and then we made the final ascent up to Medibung through the rice terraces and villages for 1 hour and concluded our trek. 

We stopped at Medibung (Tharpu) for our lunch; meanwhile; our jeep arrived pick us up from Biratnagar. We then took the jeep drive to Ilam for 4 hours. We spent overnight at Green Valley hotel in Ilam.

November 18, 2012 - 

After breakfast we visited tea garden in Ilam and continued our drive to Biratnagar for about 5 hours and flew back to Kathmandu in the evening flight. After a 35 minutes flight we arrived at Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal; the hustle and bustle city.



Leave a Comment

Log In with Facebook to leave a comment.
------- OR --------
Post as guest:

Fields with * are required.

Associated Partners